About the Book
Book: Texas Holiday Hideout
Author: Virginia Vaughan
Genre: Christian Romantic Suspense
Release Date: October 1, 2020
When her identity’s exposed,
hiding on a lawman’s family ranch is her last hope.
After her mother is killed, Melissa Morgan’s shocked to learn she’s spent her life in witness protection. Now it’s US marshal Miles Avery’s job to keep her and her little boy safe. And with a mole in his agency, the only way to evade the killer is to hide Melissa on Miles’s family ranch…and pretend she’s his wife for the holidays.
Click here to get your copy!
Guest Review from Joni Truex
Texas Hideaway Hideout is a good book. Suspense and romance go hand in hand in this interesting story. You’ll learn about witness protection, U.S. Marshall’s, family, trust and faith. Inspirational and enjoyable.
This book was provided through Celebrate Lit and the author for me to read. The opinions expressed are my own.
About the Author
Virginia Vaughan is a multi-published author of inspirational romantic suspense. Blessed to come from a large, southern family, her fondest memories include listening to stories recounted by family and friends around the large dinner table. She was a lover of books even from a young age, devouring gothic romance novels and stories of romance, danger, and love. She soon started writing them herself. A former investigator for the State of Mississippi, Virginia utilizes her criminal justice background with her love of writing to transform words into powerful stories of romance and danger.
More from Virginia
What if one day you discovered you were in the Witness Protection Program and didn’t know it?
This is the premise for my October book, TEXAS HOLIDAY HIDEOUT, which releases this month. My heroine, Melissa Morgan, learns she and her mother entered the program when Melissa was a child. Her mother never told her and, when Melissa witnesses her mother being murdered, she becomes the assassin’s next target. US Marshal Miles Avery steps in to protect the single mom and her son from a killer, but a leak in WITSEC leaves him with little options except to take his witnesses to his family’s ranch…and pretend she’s his wife for the holidays.
So, in celebration of TEXAS HOLIDAY HIDEOUT releasing this month, here are 10 things about the Witness Protection Security Program (or WITSEC) I learned during my research for this book.
- The program is voluntary. No one can be forced to enter.
- You can leave the program at any time—although it is not recommended.
- No person in the program, who follows the rules, has ever been killed.
- People entering WITSEC sometimes keep their same first name and/or initials so that if they mess up and start to sign their name, they have time to correct.
- Since WITSEC is a federal program, many states have their own programs to protect witnesses of gang or street-level crimes.
- If you get married while in WITSEC, you must lie to your new spouse to protect your true identity in the event the relationship doesn’t last.
- Protected witnesses are mostly criminals. Only about 5% are innocents despite the popular trope in movies and fiction.
- Local law enforcement may or may not be notified when a protected witness is relocated to their jurisdiction.
- Divorced, non-custodial parents have had their children hidden from them and now must agree to allow their children to enter the program.
- WITSEC protected witnesses are expected to eventually become self-sufficient. They do not get to live off the government for the rest of their lives.
Did any of these facts about WITSEC surprise you? I’d love to hear which ones. I had a lot of fun researching WITSEC for TEXAS HOLIDAY HIDEOUT. I hope you enjoy Miles and Melissa’s story! Look out for the next book in the series—middle brother Navy SEAL Paul Avery’s story—coming in TEXAS TARGET STANDOFF in March of 2021.
Through the Fire Blogs, October 8
Genesis 5020, October 8
Hallie Reads, October 8
Artistic Nobody, October 8 (Guest Review from Joni Truex)
Through the Lens of Scripture, October 9
Texas Book-aholic, October 9
reviewingbooksplusmore, October 9
Book Reviews From an Avid Reader, October 10
deb’s Book Review, October 10
The Cafe Scholar, October 10
KarenSueHadley, October 11
Happily Managing a Household of Boys, October 11
Older & Smarter?, October 12
Inklings and notions, October 12
Simple Harvest Reads, October 12 (Guest Review from Mindy Houng)
She Lives To Read, October 13
Hebrews 12 Endurance, October 13
For Him and My Family, October 13
Betti Mace, October 14
Abba’s Prayer Warrior Princess, October 14
Locks, Hooks and Books, October 14
Ashley’s Bookshelf, October 15
lakesidelivingsite, October 15
Lighthouse Academy, October 15
To Everything There Is A Season, October 15
Sara Jane Jacobs, October 16
Blogging With Carol, October 16
Book Love, October 16 (Guest Review from Donna Cline)
Tell Tale Book Reviews, October 17
Truth and Grace Homeschool Academy, October 17
Batya’s Bits, October 17
Emily Yager, October 18
Labor Not in Vain, October 18
HookMeInABook, October 18
Debbie’s Dusty Deliberations, October 19
Mary Hake, October 19
Daysong Reflections, October 19
For the Love of Literature, October 20
Bigreadersite, October 20
EmpowerMoms, October 20
Blossoms and Blessings, October 21
Splashes of Joy, October 21
Pause for Tales, October 21
To celebrate her tour, Virginia is giving away the grand prize package of a $25 Amazon gift card and a copy of Texas Holiday Hideout!!
Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.